Saturday, May 10, 2008

So simple...

A couple of things that I have learned over the last week:

a.) Plumbing will always get the best of you - emotional breakdowns are to be expected.
b.) Employees at home improvement centers have a gift of explaining projects that make them seem simple.

(Oh, look who is in the picture saying hello... well, I guess it could be the Chairman Mao statue that Mark's buddy so lovingly brought home from Singapore for him. Mark thought that our kitschy little phone center would be the PERFECT place to display it. I'm sorry, is the sarcasm that apparent? But, really it's Apollo.)

This bathroom is exhibit A. Our house was built in the sixties. When we first moved in here. I thought I was going to HATE the vintage tile in the bathrooms. We were pleasantly surprised at how it had a way of growing on us. Now we understand that some individuals have been blessed with avocado green, harvest gold or Pepto Bismol pink tiles. We, however, were one of the fortunate houses that reserved themselves from the trend and went with white and black. Praise the good Lord! As a design girl I thought, "hey... I think I can work with this." And we started our "little weekend project."
a.) We needed to paint the walls.
b.) We needed a new faucet. (thanks to my 'rents... they put that in for us in November.)
c.) We needed a new light fixture.
d.) We needed a new shower head with an extension to raise the shower head above our heads. We were both a little tired of a short shower.

Sounds pretty simple, right? Yeah.... well we got through steps a-c relatively easy. It was step "d" that beat us down. I made the mistake of thinking that I could easily take the shower head off myself and replace the pipe thingie with the new extension. WRONG. OH, SO VERY WRONG! I broke off the old rusty - crusty- been there since Kennedy was in office-pipe and left threads behind in the said pipe. Two trips to the HD, 5 days and two emotional meltdowns later we still didn't have the new fancy shower head installed. We finally asked our trusty handyman to help us and in NO time at all and very simply I might add... he had it fixed. Behold our finished little vintage tile bathroom.



I think it really came together nicely. I think the mirror is my favorite part of the whole space. I have actually had that mirror for over 4 years. I used it as a full length mirror until we moved to this house. It couldn't have worked out better in the bathroom. I LOVE when things can be re-purposed.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are braver than I am... I have not yet worked up the nerve to tackle the bathroom fixtures for precisely the issues you had with the showerhead. Multiply that times the four heads in my master shower and you see my fear. What is sad is that all four are so clogged that I have to have them all on just to get a decent shower!

It looks fantastic... tres chic!

Kandice said...

i'm with ya sister... it's no good to try to do some things yourself... and i think the end result is great! good job!